The heart of the Douzelage is Youth and Schools’ activities
There are lots of opportunities and we hope that we can also help you realise some of your own wishes in this area We hope that you want to join in our activities
The three public (Private/Fee paying) schools in Sherborne called Sherborne School, a Boys’ School founded in 1550, Sherborne School for Girls and St Anthony’s Leweston (Catholic) are complemented by The Gryphon School – a Business and Enterprise Academy. They offer a broad base of secondary education.
There are also two great primary schools: The Abbey, Church of England Primary School and Sherborne Primary, a fee paying Preparatory School and the International College, which offers English curriculum education for children from countries all over the world.
All of the Secondary schools and Primary schools have been or are currently involved in Douzelage activities and exchanges and this is coordinated by our Education Chair on our committee. The Education Chair also has contacts with many other schools across our partner towns.
If you or your school want to contact schools in other countries or explore opportunities then please contact us.
Some activities are:
- Annual student exchanges between The Gryphon and the Real Schule in Bad Kötzting, Bavaria
- Annual student participation in the Granville Carnaval in France
- Weekly European Enrichment sessions for Year 12 students at The Gryphon
- The Sherborne Young Musician and M4EU Douzelage Young Musician project
- Metaphora Project – Language Board Game for Primary schools
- Historical Highlights Book – stories written and illustrated by children
- Education workshops at conferences
- Students taking part in Sherborne projects like Sustainable Development, Volunteering, presentations at Polish events and Sherborne International Folk Festival
- Going to other European countries on study and cultural exchange projects – recently Agros, Cyprus
- Primary school projects and exchanges are also happening with Granville in France
- Pen pals are being set up with Young Musicians and students in Slovakia
- Sherborne Prep School would like to play a “Mystery Skype Game” with other countries in the future
- Erasmus+ project on the theme of Traditional Song and Dance is being considered by Sherborne Prep
- Students are going to Chojna, Poland in June 2016 to give Power Point Presentations on ‘Life in Sherborne’ to Primary school classes
- Participation in Sporting events – more details on our Sport Activities section
If you have an idea that you want to follow up then please contact us.
Education activities mostly involve students 18 years of age or younger. Please also visit our Youth Activities section to see what is on offer there.